The winner of Sandy Fussell’s charming novel POLAR BOY is…Blodeuedd!!!! Yay!!!! Blodeuedd, please email your full address details to ness @ va ness a barneveld . com (remove those tricky spaces, though) so I can send you your fabulous prize ASAP.
So now that we’ve fooled everyone into visiting our blog, we thought we’d to tell you about ourselves this week just to reassure you that this isn’t a front for some bizarre cult.
I guess I should start by answering a question I know you’re asking right now if you haven’t read my bio page: “Who the heck is Vanessa Barneveld, really?” And the reason I know you’re asking that is because I can read minds. Yes, I can. Maybe not your mind specifically. But I’m sure somewhere in the world, at least one other person is thinking, just as I am, “Where can I get a hot chocolate at 11:55 on a Thursday night?”
Getting back to the question (i.e. Who the heck is Vanessa Barneveld, really?), I’m a pre-published author of paranormal and, uh, normal teen fiction. I’ve been writing for approximately half my lifetime and still haven’t managed to get published. Sad. Following the advice of pushy author friends who insisted I get a cyberlife, I established a Web presence a couple of years ago under the pseudonym of Authorness. I didn’t want people to find me online. Isn’t that weird? Anyway, I’m over that now.
Contrary to popular belief, I don’t actually like talking about myself, but I shall unveil ten inane facts about me just this once. However, I will do this on the proviso that you share ten facts about yourself. Agreed? Okay.
1. Longest stretch of work between holidays: nine years. Shortest stretch of work between holidays: two months.
2. I’m a trained counsellor but I never practised because halfway through my course I realised I was better at writing about fictional people’s problems.
3. Regular milk isn’t fatty enough for my decadent taste, so occasionally I add a cup of pure cream to so-called full-fat milk. If this is detrimental to my health, please don’t tell me.
4. I can never pick one favourite thing. I like LOTS of things, such as YA fiction, my blog buddies, home renovation shows, cats (mine in particular), architecture, design and fashion from the ’50s and ’60s, chocolate, trying to find easy ways of doing hard tasks, baking, chocolate, cars, planes, my critique partners, chocolate.
5. Some people accuse me of being secretive. I’ve just revealed five things about me, so you know this isn’t true.
6. I am extremely shy in person, which links back to Point 5.
7. My handwriting changes almost daily.
8. The thought of falling victim to either spontaneous human combustion or alien abduction terrifies me. I don’t know what I’d do if these events happened simultaneously. Well, I can guess…
9. You do not want me to be a passenger in your brand-new, freshly detailed car, as I suffer from severe motion sickness. Don’t say I didn’t warn you! Strangely, I can ride rollercoasters twelve hours straight and not even flinch. If anyone has a scientific explanation for this weirdness, I’d love to hear it. In the meantime, I’ll keep taking Kwells on taxi rides.
10. My husband charmed me on our first date with a line from this movie:
Now it’s time for you to hold up your end of the bargain. Tell me ten things about you. Bonus points if you can figure out which very innocent Dirty Dancing line my husband used on me.