So today it’s my turn to tell you a little about myself: I was born in Northampton, England, the eldest of 4 children (I have 3 younger brothers), and I took my eldest child responsibilities very seriously. When I said jump, they asked how high. They’re all a lot taller than me now, so I’ve had to change tactics for getting my own way.
School and I weren’t a match made in heaven. I was bored a lot of the time, and it seemed much more fun to dream up ways of disrupting lessons than to actually pay attention. Which could explain why I was always in trouble! But I redeemed myself later, when at twenty-one I went back to full-time study. Except, I got carried away and became a bit of a qualification tart – ending up with a social science degree, a post-graduate certificate of education (so I can teach), a doctorate in educational management, and a qualification in human resource management. I even worked in education for a number of years – lecturing.
But all the time I was never content. I knew there was something missing, just didn’t know what. Until I discovered writing.
I wasn’t one of those people who wrote from being a small child. I did read though. I’ve always been an avid reader. And it took me a few years of thinking about writing before I actually started. But now, I wouldn’t do anything else, and I never get bored!
And, lucky for me, I now live in the most perfect place ever to write. I moved to New Zealand from the UK several years ago, with my husband and two children. After working at a university for three years I left to work in our motel and devote more time to my writing. I wish I’d done it sooner!
In my spare time I love going to the movies, watching TV, walking, exploring this fabulous country, spending heaps of time on msn with my writer friends, and playing with our gorgeous Labrador.
Like Vanessa, I thought I’d end by telling you five quirky (or is that weird) things about me:
1. I have an obsession with my dishwasher… and get very excited when it’s full and I can turn it on!
2. Given the choice, I would have chips (fries) with EVERY meal.
3. I’m such a list person, that I even put things on my list after I’ve done them just so I can cross them off!
4. If I love a movie I will watch it over and over and over…. I saw Love Actually 8 times at the movies and then bought my own copy… I must have seen it at least 50 times (Mamma Mia is catching it up fast).
5. I’m hopeless at cooking and burn everything. I’ve even been known to put something on to cook, forget all about it and go out….